Windows To Go is a feature in Windows 8 Enterprise that allows Windows 8 Enterprise to boot and run from mass storage devices such as USB flash drives and external hard disk drives
To Create Windows 8 To Go USB Drive Without Enterprise Edition:
1. Download and install AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard edition.
2. Make sure that your External USB HDD is installed and at least 30 GB or higher.
3. Double click to run AOMEI Partition Assistant. Click on Windows To Go Creator In the left-pane, under Wizards, to open Windows To Go Creator wizard.
4. Now, select the USB drive that you would like to setup for Windows To Go, then click Browse button next to “Select Windows 8 installation file” to select your Windows 8 (8.1) ISO file.
5. Once the ISO file is selected, click Proceed button to continue.
6. You’ll be prompted with an information popup, basically needs your permission to delete all data on the selected drive to install Windows 8. Note: Please backup all files before you click on the Yes button.
7. Windows To Go Creator will extract the WIM file, format the hard drive, and then prepares bootable Windows 8 To Go Drive. This process can take a very long time. So, be patient.
8. Once Windows To Go Creator finishes, you’ll see “The operation completely successfully” message. Click on OK to the message, and close the wizard.
9. Now you can then connect your newly prepared Windows 8 To Go USB drive to any computer and boot Windows 8 (8.1) from it.
10. To boot from this Windows 8 To Go USB drive you need to change first boot device in BIOS to boot from CD/DVD.