How to Format a Write Protected or Virus Infected Drive
Flash-pen drives are also vulnerable when it comes to virus infections and formatting a write protected one can be a problem. So today you can fix all these problems by following this basic tutorial.
1. Press Windows key + R to open run window, type in CMD and click OK to open command prompt.
2. After command prompt is open, enter the following command: format f: /fs:ntfs /x (f: being the drive letter assigned to your USB and ntfs is the type format, you can select fat32 also but is slower and less reliable) and then press Enter.
3. That’s it, you can check and try your fresh formatted usb drive on your computer.
Also try the following:
1. Press Windows key + R to open run window, type in regedit and click OK to open the registry.
2. Navigate to the path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> StorageDevicePolicies
If the registry key StorageDevicePolicies does not exist, you will need to create it manually.
3. Highlight StorageDevicePolicies, and then create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value named as WriteProtect.
4. Double click the key WriteProtect in the right window and set the value to 0 in the Value Data Box and press OK button
5. Restart your computer and you should be fine.