Amazon S3: Provides cloud storage for a variety of content, including media files. Amazon S3 provides a simple web-services interface that can be used to store and retrieve data, at any time, from anywhere on the web
Amazon CloudFront: Works similar to CDN services, basically what it does is distribute the bucket and its content to servers around the world for a faster loading of your media or content. (i.e) If some one in china tries to access your content it will load up fast because the data that they are accessing is from an server close to them.
For this tutorial you would need:
a) Amazon Web Services account.
Configure Amazon S3:
1. Create an account in Amazon Web Services.
2. Navigate to S3 under Storage & Content Delivery.
3. Create a new Bucket.
4. Name your Bucket, Select your region, and click on create button.
5. Once the Bucket (Folder) is created click it to go in the Bucket.
6. Here you can create sub folders and place your media into a sub folder. In my case I’ll upload media to this bucket instead of creating sub folders, by clicking on Upload, add files, Browse for the media and click on Open then click on Start Upload to upload your media to the recently created bucket.
7. Even though you can upload media from the AWS Management Console, It’s much easier to use S3 Fox Organizer to manage your media files.
7. Once the media file has been uploaded navigate to the far right and click on the down arrow next to your username and select Security Credentials from the drop down menu.
8. From the pop up click on Continue to Security Credentials button.
9. From the left pane click on Users then click on Create New Users button from the right,
10. Enter a user name and make sure that Generate an access key is checked, and click on Create.
11. Once you have created a user account click on Download Credentials button to download Access and secret key. This info is only showed once so make sure to download it.
You’ll need this to configure S3 Fox Organizer and S3 WordPress Video Player Plugin. Once the credential are downloaded click on close button.
12. Once you have closed the security credential window double click on the user you recently created to grant that user permissions.
13. From here click on Attach User Policy button.
14. Now give that user Proper access. I’ll give this user admin access since I’ll use this user for uploading and managing all my media and data from AWS, by clicking on Select next to Administrator.
15. Confirm by clicking on Apply policy button.
16. Now we are done with the first part of configuring AWS.
Install S3 Fox Organizer
1. Download and install S3 Fox Organizer add on, it’s a very easy install process.
2. Once S3 Fox Organizer is installed on Firefox click on Tools and select S3 Organizer from the drop-down menu.
3. There Click on Manage Accounts and enter the Account Name, Access and Secret key then click Save and close. Now you’ll have access to your Amazon S3 Bucket from the S3 Organizer.
4. From here you can manage your buckets and media.
5. Right click on the Media and select Edit ACL from the dropdown menu. If you have lots of media select the entire group.
6. Here check-mark Read next to Everyone, and click on OK.
7. Now you have properly set the permissions for everyone to just view the media. Now we need to configure S3 Media Maestro to enable videos on your WordPress posts.
S3 WordPress Video Player Plugin
I have personally used S3 Media Maestro media player. Compared to any other player is cheap and it has a nice clean look to it.
1. Install the S3 WordPress Video Player Plugin to your WordPress Blog.
2. Once installed go to the settings and enter the user credentials same one you used to set up S3 Fox Organizer.
3. Also set up the width and height of the player and enter the name of the bucket (where the media is being saved).
4. Once you have configured the S3 Media Maestro media player settings, you would need to go back to the S3 Organizer right click on the media you wish to place on the post and select Copy URL to Clipboard from the drop down menu.
5. On your posts you’ll see two new tabs click on Add Audio/Video Player tab. Click on it.
6. Paste the link in the space available next to S3 File URL. You can either place a link or just the name of the media as shown and click on Insert Player button.
7. Now you’ll see a line of text created by the S3 Media Maestro that include the link or name of the media, from here just preview your Post, Now you are ready to rock and roll!!!
8. Here is how the player would look: