How to Add Shutdown – Restart to the Windows 8 Metro UI Start Screen
Shutting down Windows 8 is different from previous Operating Systems. This is an easier way of shutting down, restarting, your computer. By adding tiles to the Windows 8 Metro UI Start Screen.
- Click the Desktop tile on the Metro UI Start Screen to access the Desktop.
- Right-click on the Desktop and select New > Shortcut from the popup menu.
- Enter shutdown.exe -s -t 00 command in the Type the location of the item edit box and click Next.
- Enter Shut Down in the Type a name for this shortcut edit box and click Finish.
- Change the shortcut image, right-click on the shortcut and select
- Select shortcut tab on the Properties dialog box and Click Change Icon
- Selected an icon from the Properties dialog box. Click OK
- Copy the the shortcut from the desktop.
- Paste the shortcut into the following directory: C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsStart MenuPrograms
- You should be able to see the Shut down tile on the Metro UI Start Screen. Just one click to shut down your Computer
To add tiles for Restart, Lock Workstation, enter the following commands on the Shortcut wizard.
- Restart Computer: shutdown.exe -r -t 00
- Lock Workstation: rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation