Convertible device or modern tablet with built-in hardware sensors, such as accelerometer and gyroscope, Windows 10 can automatically rotate your display. Just like a smartphone. If you like, you can lock rotation in place, so the display remains in a landscape orientation despite your gadget’s position.
Screen autorotation is a fascinating feature of Windows 10. However, there are certain situations when it can be annoying, such as when you are trying to view an image or read some text from a different angle.
In this Windows 10 article, we will walk you through the following 3 ways of disabling the screen rotation:
- Disabling screen auto-rotation using Settings
- Disable screen auto-rotation using Action Center
- Screen auto-rotation with a Registry tweak
Method #1: Disabling screen auto-rotation using Settings
To disable screen auto-rotation using Settings, use the following steps:
1. Press Windows key + i on the keyboard to open Settings.
2. In the Windows tab, select System.
3. Choose the Display tab from the left pane. Navigate to Rotation Lock field. Now turn it on.
4. Now the automatic screen rotation feature is disabled.
Finally, if you wish, you can also disable screen rotation using the action center. Here is how:
Method #2: Disabling Screen Rotation using Action Center
Use the steps below to disable screen auto-rotation using the Action Center:
1. Click the icon in the notification area of the taskbar to open Action Center.
2. Alternatively, press Windows key + A simultaneously to open Action Center.
3. Click the Rotation lock button.
Method #3: Disabling Screen Rotation with a Registry tweak
NOTE: you should be signed in with an admin account to proceed.
Follow the steps below to disable screen rotation with a Registry tweak:
1. Go to the taskbar, search for regedit in the search box. Then enter the first match.
2. In the Registry Editor app, browse the following Registry key.
A quick tip: you can copy and paste the link.
3. On the right pane, create a new 32-Bit DWORD value Enable. Now set the value from 1 to 0 to disable it.
4. Click OK.
Now you can disable your automatic screen rotation by following the above methods.