VCRUNTIME140.dll is a Dynamic Link Library file. ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing’ is an error that arises due to the incompatibility of some programs with the new Windows update. Also, it can occur due to the presence of corrupt files in your system.
In this article, you will find insights to solve ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing’ error.
Method #1: Run System File Scan
Corrupt or broken files can cause ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing’ error. Luckily, Windows 10 has a built-in tool called System File Checker that restores any problematic files in your PC.
1. Click the search icon or search bar on the taskbar, type command prompt then right-click on the first match and choose Run as administrator.
Click Yes to permit it.
2. Type the below command then press Enter on your keyboard:
3. Your computer will be scanned for corrupted files and try to solve them. After completing scanning, you will see the results.
Hopefully, checking for corrupted files and resolving them rectifies your ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing’ issue. If not, proceed to the next method.
Method #2: Repair Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributed Packages
You can try to repair the Microsoft Visual C++ yourself and see if this resolves the ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing’ error.
1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open Run. Now type control panel then click OK.
2. In the Control Panel window, click Uninstall a program under Programs.
3. You will a list of installed apps. Scroll down to Microsoft Visual. Now you have to select on every Microsoft Visual C++ you have then click Change. In our case, we have several of those (2010, 2013, 2015 )
4. Click the Repair button to initiate the repairing process.
5. Click Yes to permit it. This should fix your ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing’ error. If not, continue to the next method.
Method #3: Reinstall the Visual Redistributed Packages
The VCRUNTIME140.dll is an essential file for the Windows 10 and belongs to the Visual C++ Redistributable Package. Incorrect installation of the pack can cause ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing’ error. To fix the problem, you need to download the whole redistributable package and install it.
Note: Ensure to download the VCRUNTIME140.dll file from the official Microsoft website to prevent any potential risk. Do not download the VCRUNTIME140.dll file from any unofficial website because they are unapproved sources.
1. First, we need to uninstall all earlier versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable from your PC. Go back to Programs and Features window. Now you have to select on every Microsoft Visual C++ you have then click Uninstall.
2. Go to the official Microsoft website.
3. Click the search icon at the top-right section of the page. Type redistributed c++ then press Enter.
4. Select Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio.
5. Choose your Language, then press the Download button.
6. In the next tab, you are supposed to choose a file to download. First, you need to know if your machine is running 32-bit or 64-bit via cmd.
7. Press Windows logo key + R to launch Run then type cmd. Click the OK button.
8. In the Command Prompt, type systeminfo then press Enter. Now you will see if your system type is x86-based PC or x64-based PC.
9. Return to the download website. Now select which file type to download using the data you found. Click Next to initiate the download process.
10. After finishing downloading, double-click on the downloaded file, and follow the instructions in the wizard to install correctly.
11. Restart your PC. This should resolve your ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing’ issue.
‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing’ is an error that users have been encountering for a long time. It prevents the launching of certain mainstream apps. We have discussed the top 3 methods to solve this problem. Which solution worked best for you? Share with us in the comment section below.