How to Open HEIC Images on Windows
If you are an iPhone or iPad user, you are probably familiar with the HEIC image format. With the launch of iOS7 in 2017, Apple abandoned the popular JPEG image format in favor of the new HEIC format. HEIC is the file name for the latest HEIF standard (High Efficiency Image Format).
In essence, it has been created to meet the growing needs of smartphone camera users. It excels when it comes to image compression while maintaining image quality.
Additionally, it can also incorporate newer media like Live Photos and can also contain images clicked by Apple’s dual camera setups. The only drawback is that unless you are using a MacBook or iMac, you will not be able to view HEIC images on Windows.
If you happen to be one of those iPhone users who has no clue how to view your photos on your Windows system, we have a few solutions for you. Let’s evaluate each one and see which one would best serve your needs.
HEIF Image Extension (Only for Windows 10)
Microsoft has realized and accepted the fact that many of their OS users might want to access HEIC files. To this end, they have added what is known as HEIF Image Extensions to their MS Store. Here’s what you need to do –
- Double click on the HEIC file you want to open
- You will now see a link that reads – “download codecs at Microsoft Store”. Click on that link.
- You will now be redirected to the HEIF image extensions page on the Microsoft Page. Hit the ‘Get’ button and the codecs will be downloaded to your system.
- You will now be able to view HEIC images on your Microsoft system with ease.
However, this method only works for those using Windows 10 while users running an older OS will need to rely on other methods. If you are lucky enough to run Windows 10, this method should be sufficient for simply viewing HEIC files. However, if order to ensure better compatibility, it is always recommended that you convert HEIC to JPEG for a seamless experience on your system.
If you only wish to view HEIC photos and aren’t particularly looking to work with them, you can always use this handy little workaround. Dropbox, the file sharing service, supports Apple’s HEIC format. Here’s all you need to do.
- Log on to Dropbox and create an account if you don’t already have one.
- Then, create a Dropbox folder and upload all your HEIC images from your device or computer
- then, using the preview option, view them within the Dropbox window itself
- You should now be able to easily view all your HEIC images on your Microsoft system
If you rely on this method, you simply need to use Dropbox to access your HEIC photos. Again, you won’t be able to work with these files, but this is an easy and quick fix solution if you are simply looking to view your photos on your Windows system.
Convert to HEIC to JPEG
While the above mentioned methods do allow you to view your HEIC images in Windows, you cannot work with these images. Which is why so many people are on the lookout for a good HEIC image converter that can efficiently convert their images to more popular formats like JPEGs and PNGs.
However, this is easier said than done. The reason Apple has opted for the HEIC format is that it can contain images of much higher resolution and quality as compared to JPEGs. So it’s natural that a lot of data loss and quality loss can occur when converting HEIC images to JPEG. Thankfully, HEIC converter manages to step up and do the job efficiently. Here’s what you need to do.
- Download HEIC Converter and nstall the software on a Windows PC.
- You will now be presented with two conversion modes – Convert Single Photo and Convert Photos in Batch. Select the one you need.
- Next, you’ll have to select and add all the HEIC or HEIF images you want to convert.
- Then, on the same window you have your conversion settings. If you are looking to convert to JPEG, just use the drop-down button and select JPEG. You can also adjust the quality and whether or not you want to retain the EXIF data.
- You can also select the output path for your converted photos.
- Now simply hit the ‘Convert’ button and let the app do its job. You can now directly open the output folder from the app and you will find all your HEIC photos now in JPEG format.
Converting HEIC to JPEG or any other format, is a complicated process. But HEIC Converter seems to have hit the nail on the head. It manages to efficiently convert all images with zero loss.
While there are many ways through which one can view HEIC images on a Windows or Android system or device, the most foolproof way involves actually converting those images. Once converted, you can smoothly use those images across a range of systems, software’s and applications without having to worry about compatibility. And HEIC Converter offers the best solution when it comes to clean conversion of images.