How to Sync Gmail with Outlook 2010
The advantage of having setup Gmail IMAP is that when you read a mail or delete an mail, it is synchronized with both the web version of Gmail and the Outlook.
- First log into your Gmail account and open the Settings panel. Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab and make sure IMAP is enabled and save changes.
- Next open Outlook 2010, click on the File tab to access the Backstage view. Click on Account Settings and Add and remove accounts or change existing connection settings.
- In the Account Settings window click on the New button.
- Enter in your name, Gmail address, and password then click Next.
- Outlook will configure the email server settings Automatically.
- If everything goes correctly, the configuration will be successful and you can begin using your account.
- If the above instructions don’t work, then we’ll need to manually configure the settings. Go into Auto Account Setup and select Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click Next.
- Select Internet E-mail – Connect to POP or IMAP server to send and receive e-mail messages.
- Now we need to manually enter in our settings similar to theVideo Tutorial. Under the Server Information section verify the following.
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
- Next, we need to click on the More Settings button.
- Click on the Outgoing Server tab, and check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Also select the radio button next to Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
- In the same window click on the Advanced tab and verify the following.
- Incoming server: 993
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server encrypted connection TLS
- Outgoing server: 587
Note: You will need to change the Outgoing server encrypted connection first, otherwise it will default back to port 25. Also, if TLS doesn’t work.Click OK when finished.
Now test the settings, before continuing. it’s easier that way incase something was entered incorrectly. Test Account Settings by clicking the Next button.
If you entered everything in correctly, both tasks will be completed successfully, and begin using your account via Outlook 2010.