How to Install Cacti Server Monitor on Ubuntu 16.04
Cacti is a complete network graphing solution designed to harness the power of RRDTool’s data storage and graphing functionality.
Cacti provide a fast poller, advanced graph templating, multiple data acquisition methods, and user management features out of the box.
All of this is wrapped in an intuitive, easy to use interface that makes sense for LAN-sized installations up to complex networks with thousands of devices.
Following this tutorial will explain to you how you can install Cacti Server Monitor step by step.
1. First and as usual we have to update our system packages by the below command.
sudo apt-get update
2. The command below will install “Cacti-Spine” which it’s a faster tool to get server information, download and install by running the command below on “Terminal”.
sudo apt-get install snmpd cacti cacti-spine
Type “Y” and hit Enter to continue.
2. Select “Apache2”, as your web server.
3. After it’s configured with “apache2” server, it will prompt again to setup my SQL database for the application, Select “Yes”.
4. Enter a password for it, and retype it as a confirmation.
5. After the process is done, and terminal set it’s focus char, you will need configure “SNMPD”, open it with nano editor by the command below.
sudo nano /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf
6. Write your server IP address next to “rocommunity secret”, just like the attached screenshot, then save and exit the file.
7. After you had made your modifications, restart the “SNMPD” service by the command below on “Terminal”.
sudo service snmpd restart
8. Open your web browser and write your IP address on the top bar following by “cacti”.
Cacti Web Configuration
1. After you had successfully installed “Cacti”, now you need to configure it, click Next to start the configuration process.
2. Identify the type of installation, and sure it’s new installation.
3. Next page will show you the locations of the applications paths that “Cacti” is using, Make sure that all of it is green with “Found”, and click Finish to continue.
4. Now you are at the login page, the default user and password is “admin.
5. “Cacti” will force you to change the current default password.
You are now had successfully logged to your “Cacti” server, on our next tutorials we will guide you how you can configure and set a graph on “Cacti” server, enjoy it.