How to Install a Hard Drive into a Desktop PC
This guide was developed to instruct users on the proper method to install an PATA based Hard Drive into a desktop computer system. These instructions are valid for any for ATA Drives.
It is a step-by-step instruction guide detailing the individual steps
1. Shut down the computer and unplug the power cable.
2. Remove the computer’s side panel. by removing the screws from the back of the case.
3. Set the jumper. The Jumper is a small plastic and metal plug on the back of the drive located on position No.#3 on the attached Hard Drive image witch it must be set to either “master” or “slave” mode.
Note: Choose the master setting if you’re installing a new operating system on the new hard drive and is going to be used as your main drive. Choose the slave setting if you’re going to use the new drive as an internal storage device secondary to an existing hard drive.
4. Locate a free hard drive bay, then slide the new PATA hard drive into place.
5. Mount the drive in place with the mounting screws that came with the drive.
6. Connect a standard four-prong hard drive power cable from the computer’s power supply to the new hard drive.
7. Connect the computer’s IDE cable to the hard drive. make sure to align the notch.
8. Close the computer’s case, reconnect the power cable, and start the computer. Your computer should recognize the new installed drive on start-up.