Riak (pronounced “ree-ack” ) is a distributed NoSQL key-value data store that offers high availability, fault tolerance, operational simplicity, and scalability. In addition to the open-source version, it comes in a supported enterprise version and a cloud storage version.
Riak implements the principles from Amazon’s Dynamo paper with heavy influence from the CAP Theorem. Written in Erlang, Riak has fault tolerance data replication and automatic data distribution across the cluster for performance and resilience.
Riak is licensed using a freemium model: open source versions of Riak and Riak CS are available, but end users can pay for additional features and support.
Riak has a pluggable backend for its core storage, with the default storage backend being Bitcask, Riak has several key features such as:-
– High Availability.
– Massive Scalability.
– Operational Simplicity.
– Fault Tolerant.
– Complex Query Support.
With this tutorial, you are going to learn how you can install Riak on the latest Ubuntu 17.04.
1. At the first we need to update all of our system packages, we can do it by the command “sudo apt-get update“.
2. Once you are done with the update step, add the key of our installation package by the below command.
curl https://packagecloud.io/gpg.key | sudo apt-key add –
3. Use the below 2 commands, add “Riak” to the repository list.
echo “deb https://packagecloud.io/basho/riak/ubuntu/ trusty main” | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/riak.list
echo “deb-src https://packagecloud.io/basho/riak/ubuntu/ trusty main” | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/riak.list
4. Re-Update system packages by the command “sudo apt-get update“.
5. Install “Riak”, by this command “sudo apt-get install riak”.
6. Run the below command to start the service of “Riak”, and check it’s status by the second command.
sudo service riak start
sudo service riak status
7. Now “Riak” is successfully installed and working perfect.
8. Our latest step is to verify “Riak”, the first method to verify is using the below command.
sudo riak-admin test
In this tutorial you had learned how to install Riak on Ubuntu 17.04. We also learned basic configuration of our Riak installation, if you have any inquiry related to the installation process, please comment with it below and i shall reply you ASAP.