“WannaCry” Ransomware has been used in a massive hacking attack, affecting more than tens of thousands of computers worldwide.
Software security companies like (Kaspersky, Symantec, ..etc) said a ransomware worm called “WannaCry” infected about more than 57,000 computer systems in 99 countries on Friday, with Russia, Ukraine, Taiwan, and the UK being the top targets.
The ransomware forced British hospitals to turn away patients, affected Spanish companies such as Telefonica, and through other government agencies and businesses into chaos.
So please follow this tutorial to make sure that your computer is protected and well secured from this Ramsomware.
1. Create a full backup of your computer using Softwares like (Acronis Backup, Symantec Backup), you can download these applications from its official websites.
2. Update your OS to the latest updates, and make sure to install “MS17-010” update package from Microsoft.
3. Filter all your emails that contain a suspicious EXE file, that you received from someone you don’t know.
4. Disable all the files that running from “AppData/LocalAppData folders”.
5. Disable “Remote desktop connection”, From System Properties click on “Remote” tab, and do the selections like the image below.
6. Don’t use Administrator account, use an account with low privileges, such as “Guest” or standard account.
7. Remove all the unknown extension or add-ons from your web browser.
8. Don’t click on links from spam mails or links from the pop up windows.
9. Restore the defaults of your internet applications.
10. Gather all your backup files on a safe destination such as “Cloud, or external hard-drive”.
11. Avoid running unknown applications on your computer and delete it immediately.
12. If you are reading this tutorial from your company and feels that your computer is infected please contact your IT Administrator immediately.
By following this tutorial you are helping yourself to avoid the attacks, Ransomware will still occur frequently to a lot of people but day by day the impact of it grows smaller.