Reset Forgotten Windows Server 2016 admin password – PCunlocker
Forgot your windows server password and you are not able to log to your domain controller? In this tutorial I will explain step by step how you can simply reset a forgotten password of windows server administrator account, this way will require from you to create a bootable USB or CD, and you will use it to reset your forgotten password, follow the below steps to guarantee a successful result.
Before we start you would need to download the PCUnlocker.ISO from their official website. It comes inside a zip file, Once downloaded you would need to extract the PCUnlocker.ISO content preferably to the desktop for easy access. Then follow these steps to guarantee a successful result.
You would need to create a Bootable CD or USB drive one or the other, there is no need to create them both. This tutorial will walk you through the entire process.
Here is what we will be doing:
- a. Create a PCUnlocker bootable Disc or USB
- b. Change the boot sequence to boot from the Disc or USB
- c. Reset forgotten password.
Create a Bootable Disc
To Create a bootable Disc all you need to do is insert a blank disc to the computer, then right click on the PCUnlocker.ISO and select “Burn disc image” from the context menu.
From here select the disc burner from the drop-down if is not already selected, check-mark “Verify disc after burning” and click on Burn button.
Once finished the computer will eject the bootable PCUnlocker disc, ready to be used to reset the password.
Create Bootable USB Drive
1. Plug in the USB to the computer then Download and install ISO2Disk application.
2. Once done, run the ISO2Disk application you’ll be promted with the following screenshot:
3. Click “Browse” and select “PCUnlocker” Iso file, and make sure to set the target to “Burn to USB Flash Drive”, and then click “Start Burn”.
Under “Format Options” Check-mark “Create a bootable disk using” if is not checked by default.
6. Then browse to select the PCUnlocker ISO. Once you find it you can select it by double clicking on it or select the ISO and click on “Open” button.
7. Click “Start” to Create a Bootable PCUnlocker USB drive.
8. A confirmation message will appear saying that it will format the USB drive and all information will be replaced with the PCUnlocker bootable program. Before you click on OK make sure the drive is empty or backed up so you wont loose any information. Then confirm by clicking on “OK”.
Change Boot Sequence
1. The first thing you have to do is restart your computer to enter BIOS. You can enter the BIOS when you see a message such as “Press F12 to enter setup” or something similar. follow the on screen instructions.
2. Then go to advanced BIOS Features or Advanced Boot Options. Use the arrow keys to navigate.
3. As you can see, there is a First, Second and Third Boot Device.
4. Scroll down and use the arrow keys to change the first boot device to CD/DVD ROM or USB.
5. Finally, Exit and make sure you Save configuration changes.
Reset Forgotten Password
1. Download PCunlocker tool that you will burn it on CD or USB.
2. After you burn the ISO to USB disk or CD, reboot your computer and select the media that you will boot from.
3. After booting from the burnt ISO, the computer will take a little time like a minute or two to load “PCUnlocker” application, which it will look like the below, by the default it will display all the local accounts that created on your computer.
4. Under “Select a recovery mode”, select “Reset Active Directory Password”.
5. select the user that you want to reset its password.
6. Click on “Reset Password”, and type the new password for the administrator account of Windows Server 2016, and then click “OK”.
7. Remove the Boot media whatever it’s USB or CD and reboot your Server and log in with the new password you had set.
After this tutorial, you should be able to know how you can reset your windows server administrator password by using PCUnlocker.