How to Resolve 0xc0000142 Error in Windows 10
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application. Basically, there are some certain files in the system directory that are missing.
You need an instant fix. Luckily, you can fix it without any professional help. You will find the best fixes in this article to resolve this application error quickly.
Method #1: Reinstall the App
You should reinstall the program giving the error code 0xc0000142. In some cases, the program lost its files hence causing the error. After finishing reinstalling, try checking if the error code 0xc0000142 is fixed. If not, continue reading this guide.
Method #2: Compatibility of App
In some cases, your program which you are launching is not compatible with your system. You need to adjust your program properties to fix error code 0xc0000142 easily.
1. Right-click on the problematic application.
2. Navigate to its properties.
3. Select the compatibility tab
4. Choose the compatibility mode according to your machine.
5. Press Apply then OK.
Method #3: Run a virus scan for your System
Malware or a virus can corrupt and infect your computer. Hence, causing application error code 0xc0000142. Therefore, you need to perform a full scan of the system with the aid of an antivirus app. There are many antivirus apps. You can use whichever you prefer.
1. Open your antivirus app. Go to the taskbar, click the search icon or search bar, then type the name of your antivirus. Select the first match.
2. We recommend that you do a full scan. Avoid opting for a quick scan.
3. Resolve any issues that you find. Restart your computer then check if you fixed application error code 0xc0000142. If not, continue to the next solution.
Method #4: Run System File Scan
Corrupt or broken files can cause application error code 0xc0000142. Luckily, Windows 10 has a built-in tool called System File Checker that restores any faulty files in the computer.
1. Click the search icon or search bar on the taskbar, type cmd then right-click on the first match and choose Run as administrator.
Click Yes to permit it.
2. Type the following command then hit Enter:
3. Your system will be scanned for corrupted files and try to resolve them. When you finish scanning, you will see the results.
Hopefully, checking for corrupted files and resolving them rectifies application error code 0xc0000142.
The 0xc0000142 app error is very annoying since it prevents you from launching apps and games on your PC. We hope this guide was useful, and you were able to fix the app error code 0xc0000142.