Set Up Auto shutdown in Windows 10 without any 3rd party software
Auto shutdown is essential to ensure that your computer gets some downtime when not in use. It is recommended to schedule your computer to shut down when not in use. In Fact, there are many software available to provide the auto shut down feature in your Windows 10.
This guide will show you a few ways to schedule auto shutdown in Windows 10 without any external software.
Set up a shutdown task via task scheduler
1. You need to open the file explorer then right click on ‘This PC’. Hit the ‘manage’ option as shown below to open the computer management tab.
2. You need to select the ‘Task Scheduler’ on the left as shown below. Hit the ‘Create Basic Task’ option on the right as illustrated below.
3. On the new wizard that opens, give the new task a name then hit next as shown below.
4. Under task trigger, select how often you would like your auto shut down a task to happen then hit ‘Next’ to proceed.
5. You now need to set the start date and time then hit “next’ to proceed as shown below:
6. You need to select ‘Start a program’ option then hit next as shown below:
7. Hit the browse button then navigate to the shutdown exe file as illustrated below then click on ‘Open’.
8. Add ‘-s’ as the argument then hit ‘Next’ to proceed.
9. This is the final step where you can review your task then when satisfied hit ‘Finish’ to execute.
Set up auto shutdown via run
1. Double press ‘Windows Key + R’ to open run. You then need to copy and paste the command ‘shutdown -s -t 3600’ then hit OK to execute.
Note: The 3600 is the number of seconds to shutdown i.e. 1 hour. You can adjust the command by setting the time you need before shutdown.
The above notification should appear when you execute the command provided above.
You now know how to set up auto shutdown without any external software. Feel free to leave a comment below if this guide was useful.