To Share Files Between Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail we need to install samba which allows any other operating system to share and transfer files with Ubuntu.
We also need to need to enable windows 8 to share files so we can access it from Ubuntu 13.04.
1. To Enable File Sharing in Windows 8. To enable file sharing in Windows 8, in the metro UI press the Windows Key + W keys on your keyboard to open the search.
2. When it opens, search for ‘manage advanced sharing settings’, then select it from the result on the left pain.
3. Next,Under Private Check mark Turn on file and printer sharing Save settings when done.
4. You also need to know the workgroup name of the windows 8 by right clicking on Computer, Properties, Advanced system settings, Computer Name tab, and Under Full computer name you’ll find the workgroup name.
5. Now that you know the workgroup name and have enabled file and printer sharing in Windows 8, The only thing left is to install samba in Ubuntu to share file and printer with Windows.
Enable File Sharing in Ubuntu 13.04:
To enable file sharing in Ubuntu, go to the dash home and search for terminal if is not already listed under Apps. When it opens, run the following commands:
1. update the repositories:
sudo apt-get update
2. Once updated:
sudo apt-get install samba samba-common
3. Install python-glade2:
sudo apt-get install python-glade2
4. Install samba server configuration tool. The graphical interface.
sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
5. Add a user: note: replace AvoidErrors with a user name of your choice.
sudo adduser AvoidErrors
6. Create a password for the user if it doesn’t automatically ask you for the password. It usually does as you saw on the video tutorial.
sudo passwd AvoidErrors
7. create the samba user :
sudo smbpasswd -a AvoidErrors
8. It will automatically ask you to enter a password for that user and confirm it by re-typing it.
9. Go to Dash home and launch Samba.
10. When it opens, go to ‘Preferences –> Server Settings’
11. Then type the workgroup name of your Windows 8 machine so both machines can be member of the same workgroup.
12. Once you have made them member of the same Workgroup, Add the folder you want to share and setup the permissions by clicking on the plus symbol.
13. You can chose any folder you want to share by right click on the folder and open the share options which is easier by comparison.