The new WordPress 5.0 has come with a new editor called Gutenberg. Gutenberg comes with the drag and drop feature that will revolutionize freedom to edit pages and posts in WordPress. The best part is that you don’t need any coding skills or additional page builder plugins.
Why Disable Gutenberg?
In spite of being a new and fresh alternative for WordPress users, it still has many compatibility issues. WordPress intends to integrate Gutenberg into its core. However, it is expected that the new editor will conflict with many outdated themes and plugins. Although there is a pool of elite programmers working towards a smooth transition to Gutenberg, it is advisable to use the classic editor to avoid unexpected website errors.
Method #1: Installing the Classic Editor
- Login into the WordPress dashboard and under ‘Plugins’, hit ‘Add New’. Search for ‘Classic Editor’ as shown below then install and activate the plugin.
2. Under the Settings tab, select ‘Writing’ settings to configure the editor settings. On the right, choose ‘Classic Editor’ as the default editor for all users as shown below. You can also choose to do away with Gutenberg completely by selection ‘NO’ for ‘allow users to switch editors’.
3. Once you are done with the configurations, navigate to the bottom of the page and hit ‘Save Changes’. You have successfully replaced Gutenberg with the Classic Editor! When you add a new post or page, there are no traces of Gutenberg!
Method #2: Installing Disable Gutenberg Plugin
This method also replaces Gutenberg with the classic editor. However, the Disable Gutenberg has other interesting options such as disabling the ‘Try Gutenberg’ nag.
- Login into the WordPress dashboard and install the ‘Disable Gutenberg’ plugin as shown below:
2. Under settings, choose ‘Disable Gutenberg’ as shown below. You need to tick the two checkboxes shown in the image below and click on ‘Save Changes’.
3. You have successfully replaced Gutenberg with the classic editor and disables the ‘Try Gutenberg’ nag! When you add a new post or page, the classic editor will be in use as shown below.
You now know why and how to disable Gutenberg in WordPress 5.0. Which method worked best? Let us know in the comments below!