Solved: You Need Permission to Perform this Action – Windows 7
This video tutorial will teach you how to fix the “you need permission to perform this action” Message in windows.
Change the Owner:
1. Right-click the file or folder for which you want to set permissions, click Properties , and then click the Security tab.
2. Click Advanced to open the Advanced Security Settings for <Object> dialog box.
3. Click Owner tab, click Edit. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
4. In the new Advanced Security Settings for <Object> box, in the Change owner to: field, select your User name, and Check the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects. Click OK, repeat for remaining boxes. (If your User name is not listed click the Other users or groups button to add your account).
5. Open the directory containing the folder you wish to delete. Right-click the folder and delete it or make changes to it.
Another step to consider if the above steps failed is adding take ownership to the right click context menu.
1. Download the TakeOwnership.zip file from here.
2. Extract the RAR file to the Desktop or any folder to get a file named “Ownership.reg”. Note that if you want to see the extension “.reg” you need to enable it in “Folder Options” but it’s not necessary.
3. Right-click on Ownership.reg file and select Merge option.
4. Click “Yes” for the User Account Prompt (UAC) and then again click “Yes” for the Registry Editor pop up and then click “OK” when you get the successful message.
5. Now, you will see a new option named Take Ownership when you right-click on a file or folder.
6. Right-click on folder/file for which you want to take ownership and select Take Ownership option to take ownership of the file or folder.
Thanks Miguel, I joined your mailing list and “liked” your youtube upload.
I was going crazy, until I found your video on YouTube. Thanks so much.
I’m glad it helped.